In 1936, commercial production of Lucite® was begun in the U.S. by the DuPont Chemical Company in Wilmington, Delaware. Lucite® is their trademark name for a plastic (polymethyl methacrylate) that is non-conducting and virtually unbreakable, which also has low moisture absorption. Manufacturers world-wide now produce the plastic under other names, including Perspex and Plexiglass. The polymer’s crystal-clear appearance and its strength were far superior to nitrocellulose-based plastics. The durability of Lucite® kept it much in demand during World War II for use in windshields, nose cones, and gunner turrets for bombers and fighter planes. After the war, DuPont found a variety of new uses for it, both decorative and functional, such as jewelry and hairbrushes. Today, chairs, lamps and even church pulpits are often made of Lucite®.